Sunday, October 12, 2008


is the time I woke up this morning. I actually slept last night, I really didn't think that I would, but I was out around 10:30. I did wake up once and I was thinking uh oh, I won't be able to fall back asleep, but I did!

So after getting up I jump in the shower. Why do I shower before I am going to run? Well to help loosen up my muscle and joints. I make the water as hot as I can take it and I let it do it's work. After I shower I put my hair in some pig tails on top of my head & throw on a little waterproof mascara just so I don't look horrible :)

Now I'm dressed and ready to go. Oh I forget, you have to put this stuff called body glide all over your body. It looks like a stick of deoderant. You put it everywhere and anywhere you have skin or clothing that may rub together. It helps with chaffing. I've been fine thus far, but you never know what the day may bring.

My Michael Phelps diet has been in full swing for the last week. Todays breakfast consists of 2 peanut butter & jelly sandwiches. I'm on my second one as we speak. Delicious I might add! I've got 8 oz of water down and still have 16 to go before the run actually starts. My brother-in-law Jeremy (Gunko G) is nice enough to have stayed at our house last night and is driving me downtown.

I plan on getting to the city around 6:15 this morning. The race doesn't start until 8, but you need time to warm up, check your gear, drink water, work out nerves, etc. Right around 7 is when they have you start walking to your corral. This is where I here things get exciting. There are 40,000 people all waiting to start this thing. They have music blaring and I hear it's just really awesome. But the thing is, it's really east to get so excited that when you start to run you take off way to fast and wear yourself down way to early. So, I need to remember - nice & slow! I can always speed up at the end.

So here goes nothing.... months of training are going to pay off today. I'm not really scared anymore, just ready for it to be here and done. Todays mental approach is 6 miles and then a 20 mile training run. That and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to be for Halloween and I guess I will have plenty of time to think about it today!

I have David & the boys coming down, Jeremy, my Mom & Dad, people from the gym and any my fabulous cousin Beth coming down to cheer me on. Beth is actually going to meet me at mile 21.5 in China Town and is going to run the last leg of the race with me for mental support. Seriously isn't she the best. I can count of her for anything, she the sister I never had! Awwww :)

Me & Beth at Lori's Bachelorette Party.

OK, OK I'm done. I've got to body glide my feet and put my shoes on. Oh wait you should see my shoes.

I have so many tags on them right now. Here you see my black timing chip, my safety tag and the Nike pod that communicates with my ipod. It's really neat, Davey got it for me. It tells me my pace, my time and my distance, occasionally Lance Armstrong will come on and congratulate me - I love it! I really am a technical runner, along with the Nike pod, & my ipod I have on my heart rate monitor so I know what zone I am in and how much harder I can push myself. I'll explain all that another day. But it helps.

OK FOR REAL now, I am done. I'm ready and excited. I'll be in touch later and let you all know how I am doing. Don't make fun of me if the bus takes me for a ride!

No comments: